Naperville IL
This leg of the train was very different from the first leg. First we started off almost an hour and a half late. The train rocked so much overnight that I didn't sleep at all. In the morning I asked the car attendant why our first leg was so smooth and this leg was awful. He said the first leg was what they call a mountain rail where everyone goes slower but after Denver the freight trains go lickety-split and really wear down the rails. [Not sure I totally buy this because we were doing over 80 mph several times on the first leg without any bouncing around] He said over a five year period that section from Denver to Chicago gets totally replaced because of the wear and tear of the rails by the freight trains which go like a bat out of hell. He also said that the rules are that passenger trains are to go 79 mph on that section of flat ground. Breakfast time saw us in Nebraska and from there to Idaho and Illinois it is totally flat and that train definite...
Comments
Post a Comment